The foundation and roots of the Faculty of Economics and Management are closely connected with the Vyškov garrison. In the 1930s a training area was gradually built in Dědice near Vyškov and in 1935 headquarters of the Training Camp was established there. In September 1937 the Military Training Centre of Attack Armoured Units was founded. The development of military education in Vyškov was forcibly brought to an end by Nazi occupation. Already on 15 March 1939, the first day after the occupation of the rest of Czechoslovakia by German Army and after the formation of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, the plenipotentiary of Nazi German troops in Vyškov ordered all military staff to surrender weapons and to gather in barracks, and one week later, on 22 March, teaching in the Military Training Centre of Attack Armoured Units was finished.
After WWII, the pre-war tradition continued in Vyškov and in October 1947 the Tank Training Centre was established. Changes in the social establishment naturally touched our army too. The Army is an important element of taking power and special attention was paid to its consolidation by the new regime. The basic task of military education in this period was to prepare officers loyal to communist ideology. The new social establishment had its impact on the organization of our educational system, adapted according to the Soviet pattern. On 1 October 1950 the Tank Military Academy was established, which became a part of the Tank Training Centre in Vyškov. In 1952 it was renamed the Tank Training Centre of Klement Gottwald and in 1957 its name was changed to the Military Training Institution (i.e. military secondary school) of Klement Gottwald. In 1957 it was given a new name – the Military Training Institution of the USSR Hero Captain Otakar Jaroš. The essential change in the character of the military education in Vyškov happened in 1961 when the Higher Military Training Institution of the USSR Hero Captain Otakar Jaroš was established. Since the 1 June 1967 it was subordinated to the commander of the Military Academy of Antonín Zápotocký in Brno and consequently from 1 August 1967 it was integrated into its Commanding and Managing faculty. Thus the era of individual military training institutions in Vyškov finished and the period of tertiary military education started.
Following the order of the president of the Czech Republic on 30 August 1972 the Commanding and Managing Faculty was transformed into the Military University of the Ground Forces of the USSR Hero Captain Otakar Jaroš, later renamed the Military University of the ČSSR Triple Hero and the USSR Hero Army General Ludvík Svoboda. After 1 September 1973 three new types of study were organized at this newly established tertiary military school. The first type was a four-year study programme for mechanized and tank specializations, then for the military-chemical specialization and since 1974 for the reconnaissance specialization. The second type was a three-year study programme in the tank and mechanized specialization which was organized for military professionals with secondary education. Finally, the third type was the Two-Year Officer School divided into two specializations – mechanized and tank ones.
The school went through a great number of reorganizations and changes in the educational concept. The changes dealt with the number of staff, structure of departments, study branches, some departments and study branches were transferred to other military universities (Brno, Žilina) or moved within the structure of the school and its faculties. During 1971-1983 two faculties were gradually formed, Combined Army and Types of Army Faculties. In 1983-1987 there were four faculties: Mechanized, Tank, Types of Arms and the independent Faculty of Technical and Rear Area Support. In 1987 on more novelty appeared – on 1 September 1987 the possibility for women to study was introduced at the Faculty of Technical and Rear Area Support.
The most distinctive and important change happened in the army, i.e. in military education, after November 1989. The school changed its name again, this time to the Military University of the Ground Forces, and in particular the tertiary military education was subordinated to the Act on Higher Education. It was a real revolution in its up-to-now course of existence. In October 1990, the Academic Senate was elected and the school started building up contacts with civilian universities and with west European armies and their educational institutions.
During the 1990s, which were marked by splitting up Czechoslovakia and the necessity of the creation of the Czech Army, changes in the school structure were in progress. They were evoked by the effort to find its optimal form and prepare it for operating under new conditions. Departments and faculties were dissolved and merged (e.g. in 1993 the Faculty of Military Systems Control was established by joining the Faculties of Mechanized and Tank Armies), or they were renamed. In 1993 the Faculty of Technical and Rear Area Support was renamed to the Faculty of State Defence Economics.
At the beginning of the new millennium it was finally clear that it would be necessary to reduce the number of military universities from three to one for the needs of the radically diminished Czech Army. After several years of negotiations, on 1 September 2004, a completely new military university institution, the University of Defence with its seat in Brno, was established. All three former military universities had their share on forming of the University of Defence, while each of them were transformed into one of the university faculties. Vyškov Military University of the Ground Forces with its professional and scientific potential became a guarantor of the Faculty of Economics and Management formation.